Geography of Paraguay – The Ultimate Free Guide 2021
Paraguay is a country in South America, bordering Brazil, Argentina and Bolivia. The Paraguay River divides the country into strikingly different eastern and western regions. Both the eastern region and the western region gently slope toward and are drained into the Paraguay River, which separates and unifies the two regions. With the Paraneña region reaching southward and the Chaco extending to the north, Paraguay straddles the Tropic of Capricorn and experiences both subtropical and tropical climates.
- Paraguay is bounded by three substantially larger countries: Bolivia, Argentina, and Brazil. The northwestern boundary with Bolivia, extending through the low hills of the Chaco region, was set in 1938.
Geography of Paraguay
Detailed Map of Paraguay
- Gran Chaco or Western Paraguay on the west, and
- Paraguay proper or eastern Paraguay.
Paraguay Shares Border with 3 Countries: Bolivia, Brazil, and Argentina.
157,065 sq mi
23.4425° S, 58.4438° W
World Region or Continent:
The terrain consists mostly of grassy plains and wooded hills in the eastern region. To the west are mostly low, marshy plains. Paraguay contains six terrestrial ecoregions:
- Alto Paraná Atlantic forests,
- Humid Chaco,
- Pantanal, and
- Paraná flooded savanna.
Geographical Low Point:
junction of Rio Paraguay and Rio Paraná 46 m
Geographical High Point:
Cerro Peró 842 m
- The Paraneña region has a humid climate, with abundant precipitation throughout the year and only moderate seasonal changes in temperature.
- During the Southern Hemisphere’s summer, which corresponds to the northern winter, the dominant influence on the climate is the warm sirocco winds blowing out of the northeast.
- During the winter, the dominant wind is the cold pampero from the South Atlantic, which blows across Argentina and is deflected northeastward by the Andes in the southern part of that country.
- The Paraneña region has only two distinct seasons:
- summer from October to March and winter from May to August. April and September are transitional months in which temperatures are below the midsummer averages and minimums may dip below freezing.
- During the mild winters, July is the coldest month, with a mean temperature of about 18 °C (64.4 °F) in Asunción and 17 °C (62.6 °F) on the Paraná Plateau.
- Asunción , Asunción
- Ciudad del Este , Alto Paraná
- San Lorenzo , Central
- Capiatá , Central
- Lambaré , Central
- Fernando de la Mora , Central
- Limpio , Central
- Nemby , Central
- Pedro Juan Caballero , Amambay
- Encarnación , Itapúa
- Mariano Roque Alonso , Central
- Itauguá , Central
Major Rivers and Lakes:
River: Paraguay River
Lakes: Laguna Blanca,Ypacaraí Lake
- Asuncion: Palacio de los lopez, Loma San Jeronimo, Casa De La Indepencia.
- Saltos Del Monday: Nearby park of Ciudad Del Este.
- Trinidad De Parana: Nearby parks and Encarnacion.
- Encarnacion: Jesuit ruins, San José beach and Encarnacion-Posadas
- Ybycui National Park: The ruins of the iron foundry.
- Iron ore,
- Peat .
Major Geographical Features:
Biomes & Ecosystems:
The Central Paraguay biome is ecologically variable; along the Río Paraguay, it contains marshes, palm savannas, and patches of low humid deciduous forest, with more hilly terrain to the east supporting taller humid forest that is now fragmented as a consequence of timber management.
Paraguay’s topography consists of grassy plains and low wooded hills east of its main river, the Rio Paraguay, while the Chaco region west of the river consists of low marshy plains. Farther from the river the landscape is dominated by dry forests, scrub, and jungles in some locations.
Mountains In Paraguay:
- Nu Cany
Countries of Paraguay:
- Alto Paraguay
- Alto Parana
- Presidente Hayes
- San Pedro
Facts about Paraguay:
- Paraguay Is a Bilingual Nation
- It Has the World’s Largest Water Reserve
- It Has the Largest Navy of Any Landlocked Country
- The British Built the Railroad
- Paraguay Has Been Called an Island
- It Has the Largest Hydroelectric Power Plant
- Paraguay Is Famous For Jesuit Ruins
Administrative Divisions Map of Paraguay
Where is Paraguay Located on World Map ?