Geography of Dominica – The Ultimate Free Guide 2021
Learn facts and Geography of Dominica including Major Geographical Features, Natural resources, Region, area, Capital, Border countries, rivers in Dominica.
- Dominica, officially the Commonwealth of Dominica, is an island country in the Caribbean.
- The capital, Roseau, is located on the western side of the island.
- It is geographically situated as part of the Windward Islands chain in the Lesser Antilles archipelago in the Caribbean Sea.
- The island is surrounded by the French Republic with Guadeloupe to the northwest and Martinique to the south-southeast.
- The island was settled by the Arawak arriving from South America in the 5th century.
- The Kalinago displaced the Arawak by the 15th century.
- Dominica has been nicknamed the “Nature Island of the Caribbean” for its natural environment.
- It is the youngest island in the Lesser Antilles, and in fact it is still being formed by geothermal-volcanic activity, as evidenced by the world’s second-largest hot spring, called Boiling Lake.
- Dominica first emerged from the sea during the Oligocene era approximately 26 million years ago, making it one of the last Caribbean islands to be formed by volcanic activity.
- Dominica’s precolonial indigenous inhabitants were the Island Carib people, who are thought to have driven out the previous Arawak population.
Geography of Dominica
Bordering countries are the French islands of Guadeloupe and Marie-Galante, to the north, and Martinique, to the south.
290 sq mi
World Region or Continent:
- Geographically, Dominica is distinctive in many ways. The country has one of the most rugged landscapes in the Caribbean, covered by a largely unexploited, multi-layered rain forest. It is also among the Earth’s most rain-drenched lands, and the water runoff forms cascading rivers and natural pools.
Geographical Low Point:
Geographical High Point:
Major Land forms:
Major Rivers and Lakes:
Major rivers and lakes
Major Geographical Features:
Biomes & Ecosystems:
Countries of Dominica:
Countries of Europe.
Facts about Dominca:
Facts about Europe.